Suga San Retiring

So Suga san decides to retire if i understand this article correct.
Age and hard intense working led to his decision.
Its a great loss but understandable.

Here the link to the article

http://netallica.yahoo.co.jp/news/20140 ... 00048-cobs

Does this mean that there will be a different producer for the Batsu game this coming new year?

I suppose he will keep making appearances and the text will read "Former Gaki no Tsukai producer" or something like that

[quote="Sergio":1pmer2pt]So Suga san decides to retire if i understand this article correct.
Age and hard intense working led to his decision.
Its a great loss but understandable.

Here the link to the article

http://netallica.yahoo.co.jp/news/20140 ... 00048-cobs[/quote:1pmer2pt]

Yep, Japan has a mandatory retirement age of 60. Suga is now 59 and his birthday is on the 27th this month so he will finish up his freelance duties for Gaki at the end of this year before ending his career.

[quote="Toyabong":1pmer2pt]Does this mean that there will be a different producer for the Batsu game this coming new year?[/quote:1pmer2pt]
Given that the filming of the Batsu game is happening right now, it is probably safe to say that it is his last major project before heading into retirement. All we can do is salute Suga and thank him for everything he’s done. :clap:

Isn’t that an old article judging by the date: 2014/9/30

Maybe it’s talking about the old news of Suga retiring as a head honcho at NTV? I think it was posted somewhere in the News thread?
If so I think we figured out this is actually good news for Gaki as his high position at NTV had meant he didn’t have much time for Gaki. The Japanese Gaki Wikipedia had him listed as delegating producer status to others instead for the past few years. Suga is the one we publically see most but there are a number of producers who have worked on Gaki for a long time too. Since he retired Suga has appeared in some Gaki episodes with a more active role.

Well he will turn 60 at the end of the month. So he deserves to take it easy now. Thank you Suga-san for all you work with Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap:

[quote="Vatican":1wlr8vbu]Yep, Japan has a mandatory retirement age of 60. Suga is now 59 and his birthday is on the 27th this month so he will finish up his freelance duties for Gaki at the end of this year before ending his career.[/quote:1wlr8vbu]

Ah didn’t know they had mandatory retirement, though looking online it seems to of gone up to 61 as of 2013. But also perhaps that is just mandatory for hiring people and regular employment? If you’re self-employed freelance I wonder if it matters. Kazuo Umezu is way past the age of 61, you see him in Gaki episodes sometimes like the Lego Battle and he was doing cheerleading half naked in a recent batsu, he would of been about 75~76!

[quote="soudou":1p42eotb][quote="Vatican":1p42eotb]Yep, Japan has a mandatory retirement age of 60. Suga is now 59 and his birthday is on the 27th this month so he will finish up his freelance duties for Gaki at the end of this year before ending his career.[/quote:1p42eotb]

Ah didn’t know they had mandatory retirement, though looking online it seems to of gone up to 61 as of 2013. But also perhaps that is just mandatory for hiring people and regular employment? If you’re self-employed freelance I wonder if it matters. Kazuo Umezu is way past the age of 61, you see him in Gaki episodes sometimes like the Lego Battle and he was doing cheerleading half naked in a recent batsu, he would of been about 75~76![/quote:1p42eotb]

You’re right, the age was raised up to 61 last year. Then maybe what I was posted was wrong and Suga is going to continue for a little while. Apologies for that :sweat:

[quote="Vatican":cu15ytoz]You’re right, the age was raised up to 61 last year. Then maybe what I was posted was wrong and Suga is going to continue for a little while. Apologies for that :sweat:[/quote:cu15ytoz]

No need to apologise, we’re all just theorising here, I don’t know any real facts either :rofl:

I remember it was actually you who posted about Suga retiring before, just been trying to hunt that down.

Here it was in a gossip / rumour article back then in January:

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=5288&p=43519#p43514

Then again in April an article stating he retired the previous month (March).

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5411&p=45492#p45478

And the topic of this thread is an article from September. At the bottom of the article it states:
" Retired from Nippon TV in March 2014."
It also says he is retiring "Gasu" this month November 2014, but I dunno what is exactly meant by that, his own project called Gasu or his nickname?

Also this:

[quote:cu15ytoz]「最後の2年はノルマとして週に22番組を見るのが仕事だったんですよ。ただその仕事はあくまでチェックであって、『番組が面白いかどうか』というより、粗探しなんですよ。最後の砦としてチェックすることも大事な仕事なのですが、『オレ、こんなことをするためのこの会社に入ったんだっけな。もうちょっとテレビが好きじゃなかったっけな』という思いが徐々に大きくなりました。だんだん『制作現場に戻りたい』という気持ちが抑え切れなくなったんです」。単に現場が好きというだけでなく、その表情はいかにも勝負師が見せるそれだった。[/quote:cu15ytoz]

Maybe?
"The last two years I’ve been working to watch 22 programs a week as a quota. But the work was merely to check whether the program was ‘interesting’, searching as a critic. Also checking as a final bastion, important work, but I entered into such a thing for the company. Disliking a bit of TV but that gradually increased. Gradually I thought that I wanted to return to the production side. It was a feeling that became uncontrollable. Not to only say what was liked, an expression of a risk taker."

Also this mentions his 60th birthday and something about the future beyond that and Downtown. Sorry don’t have time to read between the lines of Google Translate right now:

[quote:cu15ytoz]"ガースー"の頭は、テレビ業界への憧れを抱くきっかけとなった、「『シャボン玉ホリデー』を見ていた中学生のころから変わっていない」という。還暦間近になっても原点を失っていない"ガースー"は、これからも"くだらない"バラエティ番組を作り続けてくれるだろう。たとえば、今年51歳のダウンタウンが還暦を迎えたら……赤いちゃんちゃんこを着た2人が『笑いけ』でケツをぶん殴られているかもしれない。"ガースー"自身、「そういうダウンタウンの姿を楽しみにしている」ようだ。[/quote:cu15ytoz]

Didn’t he retire last year already? :^)

[quote="Johnhk":r44gh3uq]Didn’t he retire last year already? :^)[/quote:r44gh3uq]

Not exactly. Before this year he held a high ranking position in NTV but he decided to step down from that position in March this year and he remained with Gaki no Tsukai as a freelance general director with no affiliation to any particular network. The newest article posted by Sergio above suggests that at the end of this month he will retire completely from all shows he is currently working in and there’s maybe a little confusion over whether it is true.

[quote="Toyabong":r44gh3uq]Does this mean that there will be a different producer for the Batsu game this coming new year?[/quote:r44gh3uq]

If you’ve read the new batsu thread for this year, they’ve started filming it so if Sergio’s article is true, this batsu will be his last.

[quote="soudou":r44gh3uq]
And the topic of this thread is an article from September. At the bottom of the article it states:
" Retired from Nippon TV in March 2014."
It also says he is retiring "Gasu" this month November 2014, but I dunno what is exactly meant by that, his own project called Gasu or his nickname?

Also this:

[quote:r44gh3uq]「最後の2年はノルマとして週に22番組を見るのが仕事だったんですよ。ただその仕事はあくまでチェックであって、『番組が面白いかどうか』というより、粗探しなんですよ。最後の砦としてチェックすることも大事な仕事なのですが、『オレ、こんなことをするためのこの会社に入ったんだっけな。もうちょっとテレビが好きじゃなかったっけな』という思いが徐々に大きくなりました。だんだん『制作現場に戻りたい』という気持ちが抑え切れなくなったんです」。単に現場が好きというだけでなく、その表情はいかにも勝負師が見せるそれだった。[/quote:r44gh3uq]

Maybe?
"The last two years I’ve been working to watch 22 programs a week as a quota. But the work was merely to check whether the program was ‘interesting’, searching as a critic. Also checking as a final bastion, important work, but I entered into such a thing for the company. Disliking a bit of TV but that gradually increased. Gradually I thought that I wanted to return to the production side. It was a feeling that became uncontrollable. Not to only say what was liked, an expression of a risk taker."

Also this mentions his 60th birthday and something about the future beyond that and Downtown. Sorry don’t have time to read between the lines of Google Translate right now:

[quote:r44gh3uq]"ガースー"の頭は、テレビ業界への憧れを抱くきっかけとなった、「『シャボン玉ホリデー』を見ていた中学生のころから変わっていない」という。還暦間近になっても原点を失っていない"ガースー"は、これからも"くだらない"バラエティ番組を作り続けてくれるだろう。たとえば、今年51歳のダウンタウンが還暦を迎えたら……赤いちゃんちゃんこを着た2人が『笑いけ』でケツをぶん殴られているかもしれない。"ガースー"自身、「そういうダウンタウンの姿を楽しみにしている」ようだ。[/quote:r44gh3uq][/quote:r44gh3uq]

I think the article is referring to his nickname. I’m not sure about the first paragraph of Japanese you posted but I think the second paragraph talks about his watching a very old variety program while he was a middle schooler and that watching shaping his approach to TV which hasn’t changed since then. The article goes on to wish that Suga continues to make frivolous variety programs. Suga then gives an opinion on the No Laughing series’ future, where he wishes to see both 60 year old halves of Downtown get punished for laughing by their baby children’s grown selves and hopes that everyone can look forward to that situation happening.

Ah cool. Well personally I think that Suga actually has not had much involvement in the batsus in recent years, especially if he was working to review 22 shows a week for NTV. The whole Gaasu joke I reckon would be inserted by the writers such as Takasu Light rather than Suga himself.

The producer who did the public announcement for the continuation of the batsu after the high ratings of Earth Defence was not Suga last year but producer/director Yuichi Otomo. On the Japanese wiki for Gaki there had been a note saying that a different person did most of the producer responsibilities even whilst Suga had returned as chief, likely because of his other responsibilities at NTV:

[quote:1m8zehbw]2012年6月から2013年5月まではチーフプロデューサー職に再度復帰していたが、本番組のチーフプロデューサーは大野彰作が引き続き担当する。[/quote:1m8zehbw]
Some of the other producers are:
Akira Onuma, Sakurada Kazuyuki, Yasuoka Yoshiro, Takeuchi Takami.

So all in all I don’t think it will change the batsus themselves and there’s likely nothing stopping him from appearing as a short cameo at the end as he has been doing. Similar to Kazuo Umezu’s cameos way into his 70s :lol:

Remains to be seen of course though.

Thank you for the tip guys.
Being a retired producer doesn’t mean he can’t fool around once a year with his buddies right? :)