Random Gaki thought

I was just thinking which of the 5 Gaki members are the best in speaking and/or understanding English.
As a Canuck (aka Canadian) I am intrigued by this show and just thinking if they can understand English so that they can go to foreign countries and blend with the residents

If possible, use examples to determine whos good at English or decent enough

Thanks
Jeff

I’d say Housei in first Endo in last. As Endo showed in one the batsus that he doesn’t even know the English alphabet :lol:

Housei however actually studied 2 years of English. He has good pronunciation of Ls which is typically tough coming from Japanese which has no Ls. However I’m not sure how well he’d be at holding a full conversation and his pronunciation isn’t perfect or anything. Studying 2 years of Japanese for example may not necessarily make you proficient in actually talking on the fly and your pronunciation of certain words may still need practise etc.

Here he is doing an English challenge where he pronounces a sentence very well.

[video:2mvb1v52]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYzjFIHLRz8[/video:2mvb1v52]

But also here he is doing an English song, he does well with the Ls but you can hear his pronunciation gets muddled in many places. however this is likely still considered to be impressive to the average person in Japan:

[video:2mvb1v52]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuQ62KEjIkE[/video:2mvb1v52]

That performance reminds me of something our English teacher used to show us when he wanted to have a good laugh

[video:azlb3g7b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrTfYItDDwA[/video:azlb3g7b]

[quote="Knudow":2bzacuru]That performance reminds me of something our English teacher used to show us when he wanted to have a good laugh[/quote:2bzacuru]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Ok, ok...but seriously... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OMFG!! :rofl:

Classic Tv from Spain provided by [b:3qcerl2e]Knudow[/b:3qcerl2e]. :D

That was a funny ass clip. As for their language skills, all I can think of now is that song about Endo… ABCDEFG, HIJK ETTO… HIKU!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A B C D E F G H I J K L… L… L…

Newspaper receptionist: L? dramatic music plays :rofl:

From my personal teaching experience, Japanese students have an average understanding of English, but when it comes to speaking, they are too afraid of making mistakes or embarrassment. Something similar could be applied to the Gaki crew.

I also think that Yama-chan has a better level than the rest. But keep in mind that Downtown often go to Guam or Hawaii on holidays. Who knows how they can survive there 8) .

Japanese people, just as Korean ones, have advanced understanding of english when it comes to reading text (we’re talking about conversations here, not any documentary text or something, lol), but they have really basic level of english in keeping conversation with someone or anything related.

In my opinion, Hosei and Matsumoto are best in speaking english out of GNT.

Matsumoto probably had english lesson. Since he is filmaker he often go foreign movie festivals and even if he have translator he probably learnt some to have more oportunities to work with foreign market. :!:

I heard in a video that sometimes japanese people tend to avoid foreign people because they are affraid if they get questions in english or other language and make a mistake with them.

It probably depends on the English level people have, some can have a conversation with you, others avoid a big embarassment to someone from another country.

[quote="soudou":39xc656u]

But also here he is doing an English song, he does well with the Ls but you can hear his pronunciation gets muddled in many places. however this is likely still considered to be impressive to the average person in Japan:

[video:39xc656u]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuQ62KEjIkE[/video:39xc656u][/quote:39xc656u]

Was there any other footage of Yamachan in that competition or even Konishikis song?