Is downtown really interested in all they do?

Hey i just thought about this and can’t be sure but is Matsumoto and Hamada really enjoying all the stuff they do? Like for example i see j-addicts.blogspot.fi posting lot of videos like ‘‘Tonight’s episode is on celebrity watches and handbags.’’ and crap like that. Are they genuinely interested or is it actually torture for them behind the scenes? What content is original and made from their own ideas?

I think that Matsumoto nails this topic of "behind the scenes" in his documentary- [b:3l9s9xas]Professional /b:3l9s9xas.
Where he shows us what is it like to be him. Although, you never know with celebrities. DownTown has constructed things to make it ultimately up to us to draw the conclusion |( . for example Hamada and Matsumoto’s relationship.
again,you never know with celebrities…take Robin Williams’s example.
Going back to your question of genuine interest, i think that it did start with a naive interest. But now as Geinin Comedians, more doors for originality is opened. Who knew Matsumoto was that artsy …with his movie [b:3l9s9xas]symbol[/b:3l9s9xas]. I think that Matsumoto really enjoys Suberanai hanashi, you see it in his laughs and his face… there only so much that one can fake … but i can never get a good read on Hamada…
sadistic hamada trailI did think the psychological analysis he received during the was quiet interesting…

Watch the documentary Tokyo-Ashe posted in his message. You will see a strange side of Matsumoto and see the "backstage".
And it seem weekly Gaki eps are 90% Matsumoto made.

But it’s been 25 years since the begining of the show. they grow up, Matsumoto had a child. more 1000 episodes made, ect.
I don’t think you can exept them to go back to their past GNT works.

I personnaly prefere their post "Matsumoto shaved head" works than the previous one, so i’m happy about that. :geek:

[quote="otoko6":1py08ndj]Hey i just thought about this and can’t be sure but is Matsumoto and Hamada really enjoying all the stuff they do? Like for example i see j-addicts.blogspot.fi posting lot of videos like ‘‘Tonight’s episode is on celebrity watches and handbags.’’ and crap like that. Are they genuinely interested or is it actually torture for them behind the scenes? What content is original and made from their own ideas?[/quote:1py08ndj]

Those clips are from their spinoff shows outside Gaki right? I think such talk shows is just a big part of Japanese TV. I mean how many programs do you need about food!? Cooking & food shows on TV here bore me to tears but they’re popular in Japan. Everyones different so there will be those who enjoy such topics. I do wish it were different though here in the UK as reality, home improvement and soap operas are what’s popular. I basically don’t watch TV except the occasional comedy series or movies.

I do watch Housei on such stuff though, as the way he acts makes me laugh despite the boring topics :rofl: To be honest I don’t think the level of interest is always meant to be taken deadly serious though :P
[hide:1py08ndj][b:1py08ndj]"The blender is so cheap!!"[/b:1py08ndj] group hugs and bounces around
[img:1py08ndj]http://31.media.tumblr.com/81acd50127b08ce0bda6f1ae0e03bab1/tumblr_n1ehi9EFl91s4frgjo1_r1_500.gif[/img:1py08ndj][/hide:1py08ndj]

I think he is talking about the recents gaki episodes where they buy clothes for guest, go review restaurant, ect.

Isn’t he? maybe i misunderstood.

[quote="andylau-fr":3km9ya3j]I think he is talking about the recents gaki episodes where they buy clothes for guest, go review restaurant, ect.
Isn’t he? maybe i misunderstood.[/quote:3km9ya3j]

Yeah I wasn’t sure either since there have been a few recent Gaki episodes doing a twist on those topics. Had a quick look on J-Addicts and seems they’re referring to Downtown’s spinoff show Downtown DX though:
"Downtown Deluxe 2014.08.21 no EN Sub. Tonight’s episode is on celebrity watches and handbags."

In that case I do think they enjoy that kind of thing or at least getting to chat and laugh with different people from the entertainment industry. If they are bored they will even show it, like when one actress was very excited about her new kitten and was repeating how cute it is, Downtown was like yeah and? :lol: Some episodes are about personal interesting stories but others are about purchases etc. so it does vary. If they were really that bored they could easily just focus more on other topics in the series.

Reading the description as "a show about watches and handbags" would indeed sound like the dullest show on earth but typically they go on funny tangents on Downtown DX. Like when Housei was showing a Gucci bag he got/gave and his son happened to be in the same photo, which led to him mentioning his son has the same birthday as Matsumoto (who just responded by teasing him about balding again :rofl: )

Thanks for discussing, im talking about all the stuff they do. And yeah, sometimes i get the feeling that maybe they are not so focused in the topic itself but having nice conversations and laughs :) Matsumoto is very interesting and unique. Good documentary. (And not that watches and handbags are crap, but not interesting to me. Sorry celebrity fangirls/boys/men… men in women’s body? All of you!!!)

This week’s Downtown DX ep on watches and handbags is actually mostly a clip show of the best(?) watches and handbags from past episodes of DX

[quote="solari":3g2b5n0c]This week’s Downtown DX ep on watches and handbags is actually mostly a clip show of the best(?) watches and handbags from past episodes of DX[/quote:3g2b5n0c]

Haha… great filler episode. I’m sure the TV sponsors love it though. :P
And yeah otoko I agree, all fairness to those who love it, but I wouldn’t be too interested in looking at expensive watches / bags I don’t need or could afford even if I wanted them, only worth it to me if the Gaki guys are adding their fun attitude to mundane things. :rofl:

I think there is no doubt that Downtown would like to do more interesting stuff but with all the stricter regulations on Japanese TV you no longer see the more haphazard stuff that they used to revel in. For example, Downtown DX used to be a game show instead of a pure talk show before they changed the format to get more ratings. Also I think that several of the Gaki episodes they’ve done this year could have easily been set up as ‘dummy’ projects for skits as they used to do as well, but now they actually have to do those for real instead of making fun of something along the way because of the tougher regulations. For example, the Endo Tennis Court Delusion that was aired in 2011 would probably have been turned into a real tennis lesson if it was aired this year. Matsumoto has expressed frustrations with the state of Japanese TV before, saying that there was more creative freedom in the past so he certainly feels constrained. Look at the No Laughing Special as well; it’s been turned into a flagship of NTV programming on New Year’s Eve, coming second behind Kohaku Uta Gassen in ratings but it’s now too linear in following a certain formula compared to past years.

I think so too.
Variety shows have to do more self-censorship to fit the current regulations.
A lot of variety show episodes from the 90’s and even early 00’s would not be able to go on air if they were made this day…
Viewers would complain about the content, and how it might lead to bullying in schools etc.

The fun in Downtown DX is the banter between Downtown and the guests. Like when Matsumoto picks on something as a running gag for the whole episode.

I also agree that there seems to be some restrictions because the shows are clearly so very different… somehow its not so original to Matsumoto and the guys anymore. I loved watching the old Batsu games and skits years ago… i hope everything will be allright. But anyway, they still are close to my heart, so ill keep watching :)

soudou yeah i love how they can make very mundane things crazy hilarious :rofl:

I remember seeing a post a while back about that documentary, are there other version of that? I mean more HQ ones? because I accidentally found one raw video months ago with high quality but it seems that it was taken down for a while now :3

These past years on Gaki there’s been some episodes that were similar to stuff they did in the 90s like the Hot and Cold endurance ones, sadist Hamada’s cram school reminds me of those old skits they did where he was training people in a gym, Endo’s Ma Ma Ma etc. But also there has been a lot of new fun concepts like the Retro Gaming, I Think You Like This etc. As well as other stuff which probably would be more fun if we knew Japanese like Liar’s Hotel etc. Yeah stuff runs on but I think that also happened before if a premise proved popular, like Kiki of course. I don’t think they’d have to do a serious tennis session as in Karuta people don’t usually slap others in the face, shove them off stage or do the moonwalk :rofl:

In the yearly batsu they had the group of comedians who abuse themselves, Egashiro’s ass bomb, Heipo Baby etc. There were complaints from some in the audience but nothing was against TV restrictions so legally nothing was going to happen. All the people were willing participants so it was basically like America airing Jackass. Also beside the complaints was a lot of support from the public directed at Matsumoto on Twitter to ignore the complaints and if I remember right his response was that there was nothing to be concerned about. Thinking about it seriously, I wonder what it is they can’t do that they did back in the 90s except stuff like catapulting hedgehogs, rape pranks etc. :| Gaki is still a late night show so they can get away with much more.

With the batsus whether they are too formulaic/boring is a big point of debate of course and there is no right or wrong answer. But last batsu they did get their highest TV ratings ever and lots of exposure in newspapers for how popular it was. Sure it means the TV network is happy but I do think audiences are also enjoying it. Each batsu recently has had something different e.g. time travel in Teachers in addition to the stuff audiences know and love. They have also of course brought old stuff back like the tag and some dislike that (e.g. tired running = unfunny comedians) whilst others (like me) love it! The success has meant bigger and bigger budgets so being able to rent an entire championship racetrack just for one gag was amazing. They could of easily done the whole Earth Defence batsu and tag game in one location or did what they had with the police batsu and rented some random empty field, but they can go the extra mile now. 8)

Of course without a doubt there’s stuff that’s repeated that I’d like to see changed up. I feel the round table stories and semi-naked comedian abuse club is starting to run out of material but that was all discussed in other threads where some said they still find those segments hilarious or look forward to them so to each their own. Don’t Get Scared they have tried to switch things up like trapping them in a dark room or restraining them at the end instead of just running again from a crowd exiting a Halloween Costume Contest :P But still could use more variation. They aren’t gonna please everyone after all. If they remove something people love to see like the round table discussion or Don’t Get Scared it won’t be in their favour versus variegating the concept.

Of course freedom for Downtown with batsu concepts is irrelevant since they don’t get involved with its creation so that they can react to everything (which again is a point of debate, but I’m in the "I love all the Gaki guys reacting together" camp I think :lol: ). But Matsumoto’s close friend does do the writing and I think if he felt that it was dull he’d suggest some things he could develop. Ultimately though I think Matsumoto is happier focusing on film directing than comedy series now anyway.

Just my 2 pennies of course though, everything is subjective and up for debate.

[quote="soudou":3sasglfm]These past years on Gaki there’s been some episodes that were similar to stuff they did in the 90s like the Hot and Cold endurance ones, sadist Hamada’s cram school reminds me of those old skits they did where he was training people in a gym, Endo’s Ma Ma Ma etc. But also there has been a lot of new fun concepts like the Retro Gaming, I Think You Like This etc. As well as other stuff which probably would be more fun if we knew Japanese like Liar’s Hotel etc. Yeah stuff runs on but I think that also happened before if a premise proved popular, like Kiki of course. I don’t think they’d have to do a serious tennis session as in Karuta people don’t usually slap others in the face, shove them off stage or do the moonwalk :rofl:

In the yearly batsu they had the group of comedians who abuse themselves, Egashiro’s ass bomb, Heipo Baby etc. There were complaints from some in the audience but nothing was against TV restrictions so legally nothing was going to happen. All the people were willing participants so it was basically like America airing Jackass. Also beside the complaints was a lot of support from the public directed at Matsumoto on Twitter to ignore the complaints and if I remember right his response was that there was nothing to be concerned about. Thinking about it seriously, I wonder what it is they can’t do that they did back in the 90s except stuff like catapulting hedgehogs, rape pranks etc. :| Gaki is still a late night show so they can get away with much more.

With the batsus whether they are too formulaic/boring is a big point of debate of course and there is no right or wrong answer. But last batsu they did get their highest TV ratings ever and lots of exposure in newspapers for how popular it was. Sure it means the TV network is happy but I do think audiences are also enjoying it. Each batsu recently has had something different e.g. time travel in Teachers in addition to the stuff audiences know and love. They have also of course brought old stuff back like the tag and some dislike that (e.g. tired running = unfunny comedians) whilst others (like me) love it! The success has meant bigger and bigger budgets so being able to rent an entire championship racetrack just for one gag was amazing. They could of easily done the whole Earth Defence batsu and tag game in one location or did what they had with the police batsu and rented some random empty field, but they can go the extra mile now. 8)

Of course without a doubt there’s stuff that’s repeated that I’d like to see changed up. I feel the round table stories and semi-naked comedian abuse club is starting to run out of material but that was all discussed in other threads where some said they still find those segments hilarious or look forward to them so to each their own. Don’t Get Scared they have tried to switch things up like trapping them in a dark room or restraining them at the end instead of just running again from a crowd exiting a Halloween Costume Contest :P But still could use more variation. They aren’t gonna please everyone after all. If they remove something people love to see like the round table discussion or Don’t Get Scared it won’t be in their favour versus variegating the concept.

Of course freedom for Downtown with batsu concepts is irrelevant since they don’t get involved with its creation so that they can react to everything (which again is a point of debate, but I’m in the "I love all the Gaki guys reacting together" camp I think :lol: ). But Matsumoto’s close friend does do the writing and I think if he felt that it was dull he’d suggest some things he could develop. Ultimately though I think Matsumoto is happier focusing on film directing than comedy series now anyway.

Just my 2 pennies of course though, everything is subjective and up for debate.[/quote:3sasglfm]

I guess what helps is that the staff (Suga, Heipo, Nakamura etc.) have worked with Downtown for a long time and understand their humor and what they want to do. If the No Laughing projects were placed in the care of others, I don’t think it could have been as successful. At least that is a redeeming factor as they know what makes the members tick, but I do agree with what you’ve said about the innovation in the execution of the concept. I just think it wouldn’t hurt going back to the old format once in a while and have one or two of the crew oversee the others throughout the games, but they are getting good ratings so who knows what’s right or wrong :D

It is a job for them and with having so much going on, it undoubtly becomes a routine.
Surely there are days where they have absolutely no interest in anything they do, but that’s the case for most jobs. However, they’re very professional on camera and never/barely let that show.

[quote="Vatican":29zj2knu]I guess what helps is that the staff (Suga, Heipo, Nakamura etc.) have worked with Downtown for a long time and understand their humor and what they want to do. If the No Laughing projects were placed in the care of others, I don’t think it could have been as successful.[/quote:29zj2knu]
Yeah absolutely, it’s amazing how long they’ve all worked together. It’s also his old school friend and radio co-host Takasu Mitsuyoshi who does screenwriting for the batsus. I wonder how the next batsu will be actually now that Suga is not so busy being head honcho of NTV, we’ve already seen him be more present in the weekly Gaki episodes, perhaps he can have more involvement in producing the batsu setups.

[quote:29zj2knu]At least that is a redeeming factor as they know what makes the members tick, but I do agree with what you’ve said about the innovation in the execution of the concept. I just think it wouldn’t hurt going back to the old format once in a while and have one or two of the crew oversee the others throughout the games, but they are getting good ratings so who knows what’s right or wrong :D[/quote:29zj2knu]

Yeah I think there is no right or wrong, some would love the old format back, others might miss their favourite Gaki member not being in the limelight anymore. Whoever got to run the old batsus weren’t required to appear for all the filming and you didn’t get to see a lot from them except the occasional interaction or shot of them laughing. I personally love seeing Downtown, Cocorico and Housei being forced to stay together for hours on end and the different ways they manage to wind each other up each year :rofl: I also think Downtown get a fun kick out of it, especially when surprised by the big names the staff managed to drag in.

But that aside I certainly would love a one-off mini batsu sometime in the year organized by one of the Gaki crew to punish the others who lose some challenge, as with the Haunted School Concert, Haunted Hotel, Pie Hell etc. Could be a mid-year thing so they can recover from the Special. I mean I prefer to see Housei in the thick of it during the New Years Special but it is true he never got to pull the strings and I imagine he might of come up with a surreal concept (wait maybe I don’t wanna know hahaha).