Searching for a programme..Help!!

Hi,
Im new to this site. I was in Japan last year on my first visit and I caught a programme on TV that looked very funny but I have no idea what it was. ive been looking all over for it in DVD shops in Tokyo when I returned this year but I havent a clue what it was, Ive been hoping I would somehow stumble accross it but Ive no idea even of the title (im not a Japanese speaker and cannot read a word of the language yet).

As far as I can remember it was set in the past- traditional dress- and it involved a lot of people running around a village doing something with a wig (hairpiece) and they were doing a kind of fitting for this wig on the head of one of the important people in the village but they kept taking it away- at some point this wig ended up getting thrown into the top of a bush and they had to get it down–There was some kind of important dignitary who arrived and just as he went to meet this other guy the wig was fitted to his head with bits of bush in it.

The other thing was it seemed to keep jumping back to the future as there was a couple of people who seemed to be either communicating with the people in the show or comentating on it from some kind of studio- so I dont know if it was about time travel or something.

It looked very contemporary with lots of shaky camera footage- almost documentary style. It could have been a film but Im sure it was a series.

Any ideas anybody (sorry-I know this is a bit vague but its the best I can do).

What time of day was it on? evening?

It was on about 8 PM–This was May 2011.

Could it possibly be this? http://wiki.d-addicts.com/JIN

No guarantees that this is it but it has a time travel-ish element to it, on around that time too.

There are also lots of long running historical dramas that have been airing for years, I wouldn’t know where to start with one of those though.

I dont think thats it. It doesnt look like a comedy from the description but when I saw the picture I thought Thats It because of the costumes. It was definately set in this period but it kept going back to a man and a woman who seemed to be in the future and they were either commenting on what was happening or were speaking to one of the characters. Im sure it was definately a comedy-it looked like very dry comedy.

This is the other problem I have because I know a lot of these Japanese shows seem to have these pop up windows with people speaking in them that done even seem to be connected to the show so maybe the time travel element is my take on it but not actually part of it.
Are there any Edo period comedies like this??

Thanks for the help anyway.