looking for typesetters

Basically looking for someone to type-set the Kiki series so I can translate it. Any takers? Cheers

Mickstar

Are you looking for experienced typesetters? If not, I would like to try typesetting :D

Not necessarily, but I have a huge wad of time at the moment so looking to do some Kiki episodes. If you want to try, please feel free! But please do a Kiki episode which hasn’t been subbed yet. Thanks!

I don’t have much time lately due to work but if I can manage it this weekend I might try. It’d be good to have more Kiki! Which unsubbed Kiki would you prefer to do first if any? :)

Also if anyone is thinking of helping Mickstar by typesetting but aren’t sure how to do it, please feel free to Private Message me with questions. I don’t have a lot of time to typeset myself at the moment but I can hopefully help others who do have the time. :bow:

Hey guys

I may have found another type setter but will let you guys know by the end of the week if I could use some help!

Cheers

That’s good to hear. :D

i’m a typesetter/timer and would love to help out :)

Hey, I’ve been doing some typesetting practice on Kiki Castella. Whether or not you need that particular episode typeset, I’d love to help out with the Kiki series or any Gaki content, really.

Ashhayes- Get in touch with me by adding me on Skype- Mickstar813 and we can discuss there! Thanks dude!

Let me know if you need some more help with typesetting/timing.

done :)

Forgive the basic question, but what does a typesetter/timer actually do?

[quote="Ni Oxx":3d0bvtm2]Forgive the basic question, but what does a typesetter/timer actually do?[/quote:3d0bvtm2]

Press a hotkey button to mark where a subtitle should start appearing on the screen,
press another button to set where the subtitle should end,
and maybe change the color/style of the font (but in Aegisub you can just set some styles at the start and re-use them).
Not terribly difficult but very time-consuming and tedious to get the timing right for each line and make them appear long enough to be read.

EDIT: Oh in some cases, typesetting includes positioning the text on signs/boxes on screen. Not too tricky to do it in a basic functional way once you know where to click in Aegisub. A more pro typesetter will make the text appear exactly like the signage (in font style etc.) but that’s icing on the cake.

If anyone wants to learn how to typeset/time then I’m sure people here on the forum will be happy to help.

Do you need to know Japanese in order to do a proper typesetting work?

[quote="Fengson":2mx4345c]Do you need to know Japanese in order to do a proper typesetting work?[/quote:2mx4345c]

No. When working with a translator the dialogue you’re given to time/typeset is in English. You just have to match the line with whoever is speaking at that time e.g.
Matsumoto: Konnichiwa.
Hamada: Gaki no Tsukai e youkoso.

And the translated English dialogue provided by the Translator:
Matsumoto: Hello.
Hamada: Welcome to Gaki no Tsukai.

You might not know what on earth they’re saying here but you know Matsumoto is speaking first, so you’ll know to make the text Red and time the "Hello" to him saying it (with a brief bit of spacing to give people time to look down and read it). Then the rest of the lines would follow in a similar fashion.

Oh, I thought it was the other way.

The typesetter first "sets" the times and then the translator uses that file to know what to translate and fill the blanks.

Any way works really, the timer/typesetter can indeed just type ?? or blanks in the absence of any text to work with.
Or if there’s a Japanese transcript available they can use lines from that.
Alternatively the translator can just do it by ear, and type English into Notepad as they listen. Which the timer/typesetter can then use to create a proper subfile.
Still don’t need to know Japanese, just set the first dialogue line to the first speaker and follow on from there to the next speaker etc. :)

Being familiar with hiragana would probably help but not essential, so you can more easily determine where sentences begin and end by ear (e.g. desu). Hiragana has 46 characters (compared to the 1000s of Kanji). I have no idea what a word in Hiragana means (unless it’s really basic like Konnichiwa) but I try to remember them as pictures/sounds. Also this mini exam game helped me:

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/s/sheaa/proje ... timer.html

[hide:2s3i2ead]あ a (someone holding up a cross to Attack something like a vampire)
い i (I just remember this one as the more slanted one that isn’t ri… or like two “i”s side by side without dots)
う u (a sideways u)
え e (a stickman running to the right and going “eeee” whilst running)
お o (golf course with a flag and hole)
か ka (a mountain with a bird flying towards it to the right, the bird is going “ka ka”)
き ki (a key going downwards into a lock hole)
く ku (a bird beak going “ku ku” or a Kookaburra bird beak)
け ke (a kendo stick on the left with a person holding it)
こ ko (a “co”at pocket)
さ sa (someone sitting, sat)
し shi (hair of a woman, a she)
す su (a woman called Sue who is pregnant)
せ se (a peephole in a door to see through)
そ so (a fancy sowing stitch, actually it should be “sewing” but…)
た ta (a finger tapping something on the left)
ち chi (someone bending whilst doing tai-chi)
つ tsu (tsunami wave)
て te (it looks like a t, when you say a t by itself, such as in “to go” but omit the “ogo”, it can sorta sound like “te”)
と to (a toe with a toenail sticking up, they need to see a doctor…)
な na (looks like a n with an a at the bottom right, also because the n is broken, its kind of negative like “na this ain’t a n really”)
に ni (a knee pointing to the left)
ぬ nu (looks like a eye with something being stabbed into it and that would make you go “nuuu!”)
ね ne (looks like a n with a tiny e at the bottom right)
の no (a circle with a line through it, such signs usually mean “no” e.g. “no smoking”)
は ha (the outer shape looks like a top hat, maybe the bottom right circle is a monocle, very classy)
ひ hi (a smile, simply smiling at someone can be a way of saying “hi”)
ふ fu (a person with their arms out holding their hands out, shrugging and going “fu” as if to say “I dunno”)
へ he (an arrow pointing to heaven)
ほ ho (a house with an aerial sticking out of it)
ま ma (mast of a ship)
み mi (a mink, top left is the head, bottom left is the front feet, then the body curves and comes down for the back legs which are together so you only see 1 leg)
む mu (a cow face, at the bottom is the squarish snout, it is going “moo” which sounds like “mu”)
め me (an eye, i, me!)
も mo (a castle wall with a moat at the bottom)
ら ra (a rats ear)
り ri (arms coming together to rip something apart)
る ru (someone with a little pouch, the pouch contains rubies)
れ re (…well in all honesty I tend to forget this one. Maybe you can think of it like “re”st as in let’s rest under this tent)
ろ ro (a person sitting in a boat… the boat is implied, in the middle, their arm is sticking out whilst they row)
わ wa (the curve of a rollercoaster track, people on it are going “waaa” after they go over the top and down)
を wo (a crazy squiggle, whats it doing, “woah~” or a finger drawing a crazy line or being stabbed with something “woah!”)
ん n (looks like a n)[/hide:2s3i2ead]

Thanks for the info, Mickstar. Typesetting sounds like a fun thing to do for the community, but I just have too much on my plate right now with school to devote time to it. Perhaps we’ll see what the future holds.

Thanks soudou!
I do know Hiragana/Katakana ! Well, it’s been a while and I probably forgot, but after a revision, I should be fine :)
You use it to recognise what sentense to match or?
I may be trying to do typesetting :)

[quote="Fengson":r4pr627u]Thanks soudou!
I do know Hiragana/Katakana ! Well, it’s been a while and I probably forgot, but after a revision, I should be fine :)
You use it to recognise what sentense to match or?
I may be trying to do typesetting :)[/quote:r4pr627u]

Ah I don’t even know Katakana heh. I always have to look those up.

But yeah in most cases you don’t need to know Hiragana, Katakana or Kanji to do timing/typesetting. Since you’re just marking whenever someone is speaking regardless of language. It’d be all the same process even if they’re speaking Latin!

I mainly find recognising Hiragana symbols useful when I have to use a Japanese transcript without any timing like the stuff I find [url=http://gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5578:r4pr627u]on that one site which has some Gaki episode transcripts[/url:r4pr627u]. For example, there’ll be a line like this in the transcript:
[b:r4pr627u][color=#FF0080:r4pr627u]それは[/color:r4pr627u][/b:r4pr627u]なんでしょう?やすえさん、10秒以内にお答え[b:r4pr627u][color=#FF0080:r4pr627u]ください。[/color:r4pr627u][/b:r4pr627u]
Following by ear I know the start of this is "sore wa", then the end is when I hear "kudasai"

Cool that you’ll be trying it out, if you have any difficulty just ask on the forums. :nod: