how many otaku are on this board?

I know a bunch of you gaki fans also like anime/manga and videogames, but who knows what carameldansen and/or hare hare yukai is? :P

i don’t know carameldansen, but hare hare is hirano aya’s anime, right?

I dont know what either of those terms means, but Ive considered myself an otaku since the first anime I watched at age five. I’ve got the giant mound of anime plushies starring at me to prove it.

caramaldansen…

Shudders

lol spike, those plushies would indeed prove it, you don’t need to know what i’m talking about to be an otaku, there are many things that can make you one, but let me enlighten some of you to these two things that can make you even more of an otaku.

Both Carameldansen and Hare Hare Yukai became internet memes, which are like viral videos except it’s not a specific video, it’s more a concept or catchphrase that gets spread all over by word of mouth or in this age the internet.

Carameldansen- It started as a song at some point by some unknown Swedish band that got no attention whatsoever until one day one Japanese person decided to make an animated gif using an Anime character and the phenomenon began. The dance, often called the bunny dance is quite simple and easy, you will see it performed at any anime convention in the world, but the popular thing to do was to animate your favorite anime character doing it. There are literally thousands of caramelldansen videos on youtube, just search “carameldansen [favorite anime]” and you’re likely to find your favorite characters performing the dance. The song is in swedish, there is also an english version, I couldn’t stand it at first but after a few listens I couldn’t get it out of my head.

Here is a mix version where someone mixed together a bunch of other people’s videos using multiple animes in one video.
[yt]xXK9ShllebQ[/yt]

Hare Hare Yukai- You were right doneb, it is from a Hirano Aya anime. More specifically, the incredibly popular anime: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Hare Hare Yukai is actually the name of the song they used for the closing credits, but they also animated the characters doing a dance to the song. Otakus began learning the mildly complicated dance and then performing it everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE! Unlike carameldansen you won’t find that many videos of your favorite anime characters doing the dance (although there are some) You will find thousands of cosplayers filming themselves doing it. You will also definitely see it at an anime convention if you ever attend one. Some of the best videos are from Japan, there are a few filmed in Akihabara with like 50 people dancing in the middle of a major intersection and then getting chased off by the cops.

here’s the original:
[yt]c5G5bD2Do-k[/yt]

Best Cosplay version I’ve seen:
[yt]O1WdLALG1jI[/yt]

One of the Akiba vids:
[yt]VDe7Xqw4rWY[/yt]

ooohh… i love doing the caramel dance (or carameldansen)!

oh~ so that’s called carameldansen… i have seen it, but forgot the name.
when it comes to dancing, im no good. (being stiff and all -_-)
wota’s are just amazing… to some degree.
and unlike spike, i don’t have any mountain piles of plushies or cd/dvds in my room. but if you look at my hardrive, you’ll find quite a collection :slight_smile:

Ha, I’m familiar with both, though I’ve performed neither… in public. I’ve seen a solid amount of anime, but I currently watch more j-dramas.

Is there some kind of check-list thing where you can check if you’re an otaku or not?

[quote:1afklmgz][i:1afklmgz]Originally posted by MooMetal[/i:1afklmgz]
Is there some kind of check-list thing where you can check if you’re an otaku or not?[/quote:1afklmgz]

[url=http://www.armory.com/tests/anime.html:1afklmgz]Otaku test[/url:1afklmgz]

Here you go :D

Your otaku Purity Test Results
You answered “yes” to 68 of 200 questions, making you 66.0% otaku pure (34.0% otaku corrupt).
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 15%, based on a comparison of your test results with 91823 other submissions for this test.

The average purity for this test is 66.4%.

[quote:1v8kxg85][i:1v8kxg85]Originally posted by Matsuri[/i:1v8kxg85]

[quote:1v8kxg85][i:1v8kxg85]Originally posted by MooMetal[/i:1v8kxg85]
Is there some kind of check-list thing where you can check if you’re an otaku or not?[/quote:1v8kxg85]

[url=http://www.armory.com/tests/anime.html:1v8kxg85]Otaku test[/url:1v8kxg85]

Here you go :D

Your otaku Purity Test Results
You answered “yes” to 68 of 200 questions, making you 66.0% otaku pure (34.0% otaku corrupt).
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 15%, based on a comparison of your test results with 91823 other submissions for this test.

The average purity for this test is 66.4%.[/quote:1v8kxg85]

Thanks, i got:

You answered “yes” to 30 of 200 questions, making you 85.0% otaku pure (15.0% otaku corrupt).
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 11%, based on a comparison of your test results with 91823 other submissions for this test.

[quote:2ouwtlmx][i:2ouwtlmx]Originally posted by wakeuplan[/i:2ouwtlmx]
Ha, I’m familiar with both, though I’ve performed neither… in public. I’ve seen a solid amount of anime, but I currently watch more j-dramas.[/quote:2ouwtlmx]

Yeah I haven’t performed them either, nor have I even been to an anime convention to see it performed. I’ve seen a fair share of j-dramas myself but got sick of them trying to make me cry (and sometimes succeeding… ><)

You answered “yes” to 53 of 200 questions, making you 73.5% otaku pure (26.5% otaku corrupt). Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 7%, based on a comparison of your test results with 91823 other submissions for this test.

I’ve been leaning out of alot of anime for the occasional one nowadays.

I never really enjoyed Shounen, more of a Senin guy myself.

You answered “yes” to 46 of 200 questions, making you 77.0% otaku pure (23.0% otaku corrupt).
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 12%, based on a comparison of your test results with 91823 other submissions for this test.

What can I say, I like my anime.

is too lazy to take the quiz haha

I like watching anime but i won’t say i’m a Otaku , i just watch it but i don’t buy all those other things like those dolls and such. Or make websites about it. I just love to see it :D

I wouldn’t call myself an otaku either, but if I’d live in Japan I’d sure as hell be one :D
It’s just that anime is considered quite “nerdy” here because most people think it’s like cartoons for little kids :rolleyes:

yea, cartoons for kids. as long as they dont see the seinin types then i guess it can be considered “for kids”.

You answered “yes” to 120 of 200 questions, making you 40.0% otaku pure (60.0% otaku corrupt).
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 29%, based on a comparison of your test results with 91823 other submissions for this test.

;(

You answered “yes” to 61 of 200 questions, making you 69.5% otaku pure (30.5% otaku corrupt).
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 12%, based on a comparison of your test results with 91823 other submissions for this test.
The first submission for this test was received August 5, 1998.

fail… let me point out that the vast majority of those questions are… how shall i put it… irrelevant. if you own a tape nowadays, ud probably get beaten up just for broadcasting that information, even if it is super rare its the kind of super rare thing that nobody finds cool… like no1 is gunna hi-5 you for keeping a shiny rock for 20 years.

I’ve never really been a fan of anime… I’ve seen some, but it haven’t caught on to me. I just think that anything cartoonish is impossible for me to like cause my brother is watching it ALL DAY LONG! - Cartoon Network, Jetix or Disney is on 24/7.

I’m more into Japanese movies and dramas with real actors. I think they are much more exiting and Japanese actor are a lot better than the American.

I’ve read some manga tho… Dragonball and Death Note and now I’m reading Naruto in japanese.

Just took the test…
You answered “yes” to 9 of 200 questions, making you 95.5% otaku pure (4.5% otaku corrupt).