Question about Hamada and Endo's Bead Bracelets

Hopefully this is the correct thread to ask, after watching a few episodes of GNT including the Chiaki Audition. I noticed that Endo and Hamada both wear these bead bracelets, does anyone know if these bracelets have anything to do with the belief of Shinto? Or anything else? I am looking to buy one but don’t know where to look for one around my area. Thanks in advanced!

just style… they bad boys

interesting question. maybe they being sexy im kidding. maybe it is friendship bracelet :)

I’d think so too, but that just doesn’t seem like Hamada nor Endou…

I thought it like Shinto Buddhist beads or something. But the responses so far are pretty funny.

I have read online that Endo and Hamada are good friends off screen, and since its only them two wearing it , then maybe it has something to do with their friendship.

I am not too sure about it being part of Shinto, but I remember reading that beads are used when praying. My knowledge of Shinto is very vague,but hope I helped a little.

[quote:bloms01b][i:bloms01b]Originally posted by MorizakiVS[/i:bloms01b]
I have read online that Endo and Hamada are good friends off screen, and since its only them two wearing it , then maybe it has something to do with their friendship.[/quote:bloms01b]I wondered where you’ve read that about their friendship, but I found it on Japanese wikipedia today. :smiley:

But I also think those bracelets are talismans. Actually I am pretty sure, because I recently watched the 10th Oogiri [size=84:bloms01b](you know, it’s just basically the “Gaki vs Tenso”-show, only earlier and … with less people)[/size:bloms01b] and saw this:

[img:bloms01b]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o197/pipework/miyasakoluck.jpg[/img:bloms01b]
As far as I understood, Miyasako says something about luck (I heard “rucky desu” two times) and something about Hotohara or something like that. However, I’m actually only sure about hearing “rucky” and so I assume it’s a talisman [size=84:bloms01b](also because he points at it exactly and didn’t have that bracelet before)[/size:bloms01b].

i have read about their friendship in a translated interview online but i can’t find the link now…i also found out by reading cocorico’s wikipedia page, under endo’s name… :)

[url:2cs9m4dp]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocorico[/url:2cs9m4dp]

Also, thanks on informing us on the fact that they are talismans, now it makes more sense… :)

The Beads are more of buddhist than shintoist objects, although lots of shintoists are also buddhists, and as you commented, they are plain cool, enough reason for one to wear it.

[i:k94ugftz]“In traditional Buddhist thought, people are said to have 108 afflictions. There are six senses (sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, and consciousness) multiplied by three reactions (positive, negative, or indifference) making 18 “feelings.” Each of these feelings can be either “attached to pleasure or detached from pleasure” making 36 “passions”, each of which may be manifested in the past, present, or future. All the combinations of all these things makes a total of 108, which are represented by the beads.”[/i:k94ugftz]

So the original praying beads have 108 beads, you probably saw it somewhere already, you can usually see monks praying with them wrapped around their hands. There are also versions with fewer beads, usually multiples of 9, probably those you saw on their wrists.
But then again, some of them are just for decoration.

Hope that helped, if you want to see more just google “juzu”.

They are in fact a scaled down version of the Shinto/Buddhist prayer beads. They have 18 - 26 beads based on scale and when you pray you count the beads as you go and you stop when you hit 108. 108 is the number of sins in Buddhist, Hindu and Shinto religions they are closely similar. They are usually blessed at a temple and you commit to your first 108 prayers and then an incense ritual then the “lucky sticks”. I’ve had to do this once as I became a part of my SO’s family and became a godfather to one of her nieces. I’m actually from a Catholic background but I am open minded to all religion.

I can’t remember where I saw it, but one time I saw a glimpse of one on Matsumoto. I only saw a little of it because he was wearing long sleaves.

yh the beads are called mala beads reason i know this is cuz im buddhist and i also have one.

I think these bracelets are cool, I have also wear some of these bracelets! :)
some people just wear them for style/fashion, some people wear them for there belief’s (religious/none) or just for good fortune!
for me…I just wear them for the style ^^ Haha…I don’t have a clue why the Gaki guy’s wear them! :D

People wear those kind of bracelets in America also… Just fashion I think.

I’m a bit shocked to hear that Hamada and endo are good friends outside of the show. I thought that endo was an acquaintance to Hamada because here’s what I notice while watching no laughing.

Hamada talks to matsumato most of the time
Endo talks to tanaka most of the time
Yamasaki really kind of talks to everybody