Episode #1255 2015.05.17 - Tour of Splendorous Desires

This one I’m not entirely sure about. If anyone can clear the description up, you are welcome to.
So apparently, the gang go around to different cafes with a set of cards that detail things that they ‘want’, or ‘want’ to do; in other words, things that may be out of character for them. They cannot continue on to the next cafe until the challenges are complete.
Don’t know how accurate my translation is, but hope it gives you guys a rough idea.

[url:132rcfqn]http://www.ntv.co.jp/program/detail/21840514.html[/url:132rcfqn]

[quote:132rcfqn]今週のガキの使いは華麗に『がる』ツアー!喫茶店をハシゴして「痛がる」「暑がる」と書かれたカードを引いて、そのお題の通りの「がる」行為をし続けなければならない奇天烈なツアー。5人は、それぞれの「がる」をやりつづけるが、自分のキャラとは正反対の「がる」だったり、突飛な「がる」もあって苦戦する。そんな時にMCで後輩のライセンスからダメ出しされ一触即発状態!?様々な「がる」が飛び交う空間でどうなるのか!?[/quote:132rcfqn]

My image that I think of from the sentence is "Cafe tour with forced simulation". :?:

[quote="Vatican":o72lgkqu]This one I’m not entirely sure about. If anyone can clear the description up, you are welcome to.
So apparently, the gang go around to different cafes with a set of cards that detail things that they ‘want’, or ‘want’ to do; in other words, things that may be out of character for them. They cannot continue on to the next cafe until the challenges are complete.
Don’t know how accurate my translation is, but hope it gives you guys a rough idea.

[url:o72lgkqu]http://www.ntv.co.jp/program/detail/21840514.html[/url:o72lgkqu]

[quote:o72lgkqu]今週のガキの使いは華麗に『がる』ツアー!喫茶店をハシゴして「痛がる」「暑がる」と書かれたカードを引いて、そのお題の通りの「がる」行為をし続けなければならない奇天烈なツアー。5人は、それぞれの「がる」をやりつづけるが、自分のキャラとは正反対の「がる」だったり、突飛な「がる」もあって苦戦する。そんな時にMCで後輩のライセンスからダメ出しされ一触即発状態!?様々な「がる」が飛び交う空間でどうなるのか!?[/quote:o72lgkqu][/quote:o72lgkqu]

The ‘garu’ here is the ending used to change a stem word to show a third person’s want or desire
hoshii minus i plus garu
kuruma ga hoshii = I want a car
kanojo wa kuruma ga hoshigaru = she wants a car.

They are going cafe-hopping. While doing so, the members each draw a "desire card" eg,"want pain" or
"want heat", and have to take actions to follow the ‘desires/wants’ on the card. However, sometimes,they would struggle with cards that forces that person to go against their own character(to go out of character) or cards that are really wild/offbeat.
License, the MC, would criticize them on their performance, and it escalates into an explosive situation!?

This week’s ep seems interesting.

The another mean of "がる garu": strongly appeal

Want pain…? Who wants pain? Then again the Gaki guys are basically masochists :rofl:

This could be interesting if it’s a candid camera challenge where each go into the cafe alone. When Housei had to do his "shout Matsumoto in public" punishment he really struggled because without a cast around him he hated to create a disturbance, but I feel if they are together in a group they’ll struggle less since they know people will understand it’s a setup for the show.

I really like that they’re starting to pull out fresh ideas again. (Thought i wouldn’t mind see another Endo Ma Ma Ma or Non-Stop Acting episode again.) :rofl:

Another interpretation could be "to complain of pain" or "to complain of heat". If this is the case, they would have to continue with complaining on whatever’s on the cards until time-up.

[quote="solari":1fyvtp62]Another interpretation could be "to complain of pain" or "to complain of heat". If this is the case, they would have to continue with complaining on whatever’s on the cards until time-up.[/quote:1fyvtp62]

Ohh I see, that makes sense! Thanks for the translation. Sounds kind of like the opposite of the "Heat/Cold Anti-Negativity" challenges. :)

[quote="solari":1e1skaz5]Another interpretation could be "to complain of pain" or "to complain of heat". If this is the case, they would have to continue with complaining on whatever’s on the cards until time-up.[/quote:1e1skaz5]

This is the correct answer.
In japanese, がる (read "garu") is a suffix you put after some words to create a verb (as verbs in japanese end in "ru" for the most part). A few examples:
欲しい = want; 欲しがる = to want something
暑い = heat (as in natural heat); 暑がる = to complain about heat
痛い = sore, painful; 痛がる = to be in pain
嫌 = dislike, unpleasant; 嫌がる = to dislike

So basically, the crew is going to go to different cafés and draw cards with these words writtn on them. They’ll have to act by these cards, but they’ll sometimes draw cards that indicates something that’s totally out of character or just something unusual. License then starts using Tameguchi on the crew ( see: speaking down on elders or people with a higher social rank than you, it’s not simply "complaining").

I agree with the person that said they’re bringing back original stuff. These two weeks have been great with the Hamada Idol Project and that Matsumoto No Pants Looking, especially after very disappointing episodes such as the Heipo shit and the I Think you’ll like this featuring the Rola clone. Very excited for this!!

Linkingさん

Your Japanese is very good. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yeah, very helpful Linking :)
Is がる a bit like "ing" in English?

欲しい = want; 欲しがる = wanting
痛い = sore, painful; 痛がる = hurting
嫌 = dislike, unpleasant; 嫌がる = disliking
暑い = heat (as in natural heat); 暑がる = … no equivalent xD Maybe "hotting up" as a long shot.

がる garu
It is a state of the people who does not endure it.

[quote="ErnieYoung":1vso8una]がる garu
It is a state of the people who does not endure it.[/quote:1vso8una]

Ah I see, much more complexity / meaning behind it then than just making a word a verb (e.g. "ing"), thanks!

I still have much to learn in terms of translation and Japanese…sometimes, it’s confusing when trying to translate.

My understanding…
I went to look up examples since I made myself confused on this…
~garu form usually used for a speaker to refer to a third person, not the speaker’s own self(but there are exceptions). However, it also depends on the stem-word itself…when changing an adjective to ~garu form, it changes to a verb.

stem-word+~garu = (third person)(wants/feels/seems like) to +~+ stem-word"
i-adjective(minus the ending i, add ~garu)
hoshii(want) - i + garu = hoshigaru((third person) to want)
itai(pain) - i + garu = itagaru ((third person)to complain of pain/to feel pain)
atsui(hot) - i + garu = atsugaru ((third person)to complain of heat/to feel heat)
kawaii(cute) - i + garu = kawaigaru (to dote on/feel affectionate to third person)

na-adjective (minus na, plus ~garu)
iya na(dislike, unpleasant) - na +garu = iyagaru((third person) to dislike )

exception(?):
欲しがっていたバッグだ!hoshigatteita baggu da! ( A bag I had wanted!)

Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende!! - 05-17-15 (NTV).ts
1440x1080 MPEG2 AAC

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=691760

You can make so many gifs outta this episode, haha.

[hide:1qmgkhtt]喫茶店で華麗に「がる」ツアー!!

https://mega.nz/#!yN8QxZxZ

[img:1qmgkhtt]http://i.imgur.com/DmPndMw.jpg[/img:1qmgkhtt]
[attachment=0:1qmgkhtt]Gaki_150517_#1255_Garu Game.zip[/attachment:1qmgkhtt][/hide:1qmgkhtt]

I don’t watch it yet, but it looks like the iced coffee challenge…

Oh gosh, they have to ACT out the cards :D LOL
so it’s like an acting challenge
At the end of each stage, they vote for the one they each think gave the worst performance.

1st cafe:
Tanaka: 怖がる To be nervous; to be scared
Matsumoto: 寝たがる To want to sleep, to be sleepy
Hosei: 暑がる To complain of heat, to feel bothered by heat
Hamada: 自慢したがる To be boastful (of something)
Endo: 恥ずかしがる To be bashful, to be embarrassed

2nd cafe:
Tanaka: 寒がる To complain of cold, to feel bothered by cold
Matsumoto: 臭がる To complain of some smell, to feel bothered by a smell
Hosei: 痛がる To complain of pain, to be in pain
Hamada: 知りたがる To want to know (something)
Endo: 欲しがる To want (something)

3rd cafe(the "garu" cards got leveled up to be more difficult):
Tanaka: アントニオ猪木をしたがる To want to imitate Antonio Inoki
Matsumoto: 森進一をしたがる To want to imitate Mori Shinichi
Hosei: 他のメンバーを褒めたがる To want to praise/compliment the other members
Hamada: 乗りツッコミを使いたがる To want to use ‘nori-tsukkomi’
Endo: やたらと間取りを気にしたがる To randomly be worried/mind how the room is decorated

Nori-tsukkomi is to play along with a joke for a while, then point out the ridiculousness.
(see this subbed video for examples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMnV4QPL74)

Thank you very much ErnieYoung greatly appreciated. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: