Gaki Episode Transcripts (Japanese)

Hey all, this site posts transcripts from various Japanese shows. It used to only have the annual Gaki batsu but it now posts the regular weekly episodes too! I’m not sure where it gets it from, maybe it rips it from the TV subtitles for the Hard of Hearing Japanese audience? Anyway I hope it might help those who want to try and subtitle more Gaki.
Here’s a search for Gaki on the site, click on a episode date heading to get the full transcript.

http://o.x0.com/m/?s=%E3%83%80%E3%82%A6 ... 3%E3%81%A7

(EDIT: The search changed and now displays one result at a time, you can use the <- and -> links near the bottom of the page to go between results).

Woah.

It’d be great if they ripped the subtitle as a subtitle file instead of plain text (I don’t know if this is possible, tv ripping is something unknown to me, but the last time I recorded something it captured the dual audio and the subtitles from TV)

[quote="Knudow":inygwuzy]Woah. It’d be great if they ripped the subtitle as a subtitle file instead of plain text (I don’t know if this is possible, tv ripping is something unknown to me, but the last time I recorded something it captured the dual audio and the subtitles from TV)[/quote:inygwuzy]

Yeah it’d be a major help since there’s no timing with pure text :( At the bottom of each transcript there is some broadcast data but I don’t understand enough to figure out where they’re getting these from. e.g.:

[quote:inygwuzy]映像 : 1080i(1125i)、アスペクト比16:9 パンベクトルなし
音声 : 2/0モード(ステレオ)
ステレオ
サンプリングレート : 48kHz

OriginalNetworkID:32725(0x7FD5)
TransportStreamID:32725(0x7FD5)
ServiceID:2088(0×0828)
EventID:31023(0x792F)[/quote:inygwuzy]

Despite the basic format, I have managed to use this site in the past to [url=http://yamasakigifs.tumblr.com/amateursubbing:inygwuzy]"Amateur Sub"[/url:inygwuzy] some non-Gaki stuff Housei was on. I hope having the dialogue in text form to reference will help those with even a moderate understanding of Japanese to translate more Gaki episodes.

I assume that’s just some technical data from the TV broadcast. The "slot" the channel is on and things like that. Nothing of use, just added there to make it more "technical"

I think most of the data means like the quality in how the show was aired, in what aspect ratio, the video or audio bitrate and etc. ;)

Yeah the 1080i, 48khz etc. has gotta be the resolution etc. I was wondering more about the IDs like the one for the Transport Stream (like how NIJI uses MPEG Transport Stream) but like Knudow says they’re likely only of use when tuning in on a Japanese TV.

I really don’t know about the rest :S

it seems that he is using the following recorder: [hide:1nxatfgn]http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/s.html/375-9863974-8551710?ie=UTF8&amp;__mk_ja_JP=%25E3%2582%25AB%25E3%2582%25BF%25E3%2582%25AB%25E3%2583%258A&amp;k=ブルーレイディスクレコーダー&amp;lc=mqr&amp;linkCode=mqr&amp;m=electronics&amp;tag=amcr-22&amp;uid=NULLGWDOCOMO[/hide:1nxatfgn]

From reading the texts on the latest link. it doesn’t seem like its the same episode. the texts says 2014-07-17, but the episode aired 2014-07-20.

[quote="||—PEGO—||":4ny021uj]it seems that he is using the following recorder: [hide:4ny021uj]http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/s.html/375-9863974-8551710?ie=UTF8&amp;__mk_ja_JP=%25E3%2582%25AB%25E3%2582%25BF%25E3%2582%25AB%25E3%2583%258A&amp;k=ブルーレイディスクレコーダー&amp;lc=mqr&amp;linkCode=mqr&amp;m=electronics&amp;tag=amcr-22&amp;uid=NULLGWDOCOMO[/hide:4ny021uj]
From reading the texts on the latest link. it doesn’t seem like its the same episode. the texts says 2014-07-17, but the episode aired 2014-07-20.[/quote:4ny021uj]

Ah cool, I wonder if those can capture timing too or not? Or maybe there are similar devices that would… If any translators felt it would be of help to the subbing community and a member of the forum in Japan would be willing, they could maybe capture timed Japanese transcripts for subbing (like what is utilised for the yearly batsu). There’d have to be vested interest from both parties to warrant funding though if necessary.

First though as a start, Timers in the subbing community could take these raw transcripts and turn them into a timed subfiles (again if any translators feel it’d help).

Yes I’ve noticed they’re always behind the latest broadcast. I’ve been thinking maybe they’re based in the Kansai region, they air Gaki episodes on a Thursday or so in the week instead of the weekend as in the Kanto (e.g. Tokyo) area. That would explain why they can also capture various Kansai based shows like Marco Polori etc. (useful for me since Housei’s TV work is mostly Kansai-based now he moved to Osaka for his rakugo gigs).
It seems the actual episodes are a few weeks behind too, compared to other shows like Marco Polori etc. I guess Gaki is on a bigger delay in the Kansai area than I thought, weird considering the cast hail from the Kansai region!

The subtitles extracted from the recording should be already timed

Edit - I just tried recording some tv show and extracting the subtitles from the .ts file.

The times are there, but the subtitles aren’t in text format, they are like DVD subtitles, those ones that are bitmaps and you have to use OCR to get a srt.

[quote="Knudow":260frr0a]The subtitles extracted from the recording should be already timed

Edit - I just tried recording some tv show and extracting the subtitles from the .ts file.

The times are there, but the subtitles aren’t in text format, they are like DVD subtitles, those ones that are bitmaps and you have to use OCR to get a srt.[/quote:260frr0a]

How did you managed to record the subtitles?

[quote="Knudow":2zo7szuh]The subtitles extracted from the recording should be already timed

The times are there, but the subtitles aren’t in text format, they are like DVD subtitles, those ones that are bitmaps and you have to use OCR to get a srt.[/quote:2zo7szuh]

I think the times should be there; perhaps the guy who put those in that website just simply copy pasted without the times.

[quote="soudou":2zo7szuh]
Ah cool, I wonder if those can capture timing too or not? Or maybe there are similar devices that would… If any translators felt it would be of help to the subbing community and a member of the forum in Japan would be willing, they could maybe capture timed Japanese transcripts for subbing (like what is utilised for the yearly batsu). There’d have to be vested interest from both parties to warrant funding though if necessary.

First though as a start, Timers in the subbing community could take these raw transcripts and turn them into a timed subfiles (again if any translators feel it’d help).

Yes I’ve noticed they’re always behind the latest broadcast. I’ve been thinking maybe they’re based in the Kansai region, they air Gaki episodes on a Thursday or so in the week instead of the weekend as in the Kanto (e.g. Tokyo) area. That would explain why they can also capture various Kansai based shows like Marco Polori etc. (useful for me since Housei’s TV work is mostly Kansai-based now he moved to Osaka for his rakugo gigs).
It seems the actual episodes are a few weeks behind too, compared to other shows like Marco Polori etc. I guess Gaki is on a bigger delay in the Kansai area than I thought, weird considering the cast hail from the Kansai region![/quote:2zo7szuh]

Yes i think we can get it done if we can convince a fan to record weekly. That shouldn’t be too hard frankly…

About the delay, how far behind is it? i want to check how accurate the words are.
You know how sometimes when a member says something, they write down his sentence as a big subtitle. If that correlates with the subtitle file accurately, we can almost sure that its at least 80% correct.

[quote="VideogameDC":1xcaks8n][quote="Knudow":1xcaks8n]The subtitles extracted from the recording should be already timed

The times are there, but the subtitles aren’t in text format, they are like DVD subtitles, those ones that are bitmaps and you have to use OCR to get a srt.[/quote:1xcaks8n]

How did you managed to record the subtitles?[/quote:1xcaks8n]

I just turned them on on the recorder before recording and they were captured as a subtitle stream. I can turn them on and off on the PC with a video player.

I tried recording the show without turning the subtitles on to check if it automatically recorded them, but it didn’t.

[quote="Knudow":23pk5d4c][quote="VideogameDC":23pk5d4c][quote="Knudow":23pk5d4c]The subtitles extracted from the recording should be already timed

The times are there, but the subtitles aren’t in text format, they are like DVD subtitles, those ones that are bitmaps and you have to use OCR to get a srt.[/quote:23pk5d4c]

How did you managed to record the subtitles?[/quote:23pk5d4c]

I just turned them on on the recorder before recording and they were captured as a subtitle stream. I can turn them on and off on the PC with a video player.

I tried recording the show without turning the subtitles on to check if it automatically recorded them, but it didn’t.[/quote:23pk5d4c]

I’m curious about what recorder do you use. I hope it’s not a DVD recorder, because that would be messed up. I have one.

I used an android recorder with a hard drive. It’s horrible. It’s a Spanish brand I think (I only get spanish results on google), GigaTV

But I think that our old recorder also did the subtitles thing (I just couldn’t try because it was recording at the time) It’s a Woxter.

[quote="Knudow":1ldu1tyr]I used an android recorder with a hard drive. It’s horrible. It’s a Spanish brand I think (I only get spanish results on google), GigaTV

But I think that our old recorder also did the subtitles thing (I just couldn’t try because it was recording at the time) It’s a Woxter.[/quote:1ldu1tyr]

Is there any video test of the GigaTV? I found close to nothing on Google (Only a page of the manufacturer of the thing).

i found how far behind the link you sent us is.

The episode that says 7-10 is actually the one that first aired in the tokyo region on 6-01. its the costume talk episode, and it starts with the classic "ladies and gentlemen"

the two altest ones on the website are the kurata competition.

I’ll check their accuracy once i have time, but so far looks good.

we need to copy past and save those in case that link dies.

[quote="VideogameDC":34egtz9z][quote="Knudow":34egtz9z]I used an android recorder with a hard drive. It’s horrible. It’s a Spanish brand I think (I only get spanish results on google), GigaTV

But I think that our old recorder also did the subtitles thing (I just couldn’t try because it was recording at the time) It’s a Woxter.[/quote:34egtz9z]

Is there any video test of the GigaTV? I found close to nothing on Google (Only a page of the manufacturer of the thing).[/quote:34egtz9z]

I don’t think so

But as I said, this thing is horrible. The idea of an android devide where you can install things from the market is good in theory, but when you try to use it… You have to use several apps for things like watching tv, recording, playing videos…

A recorder created specifically to play videos, tune the tv and record videos is way better than this thing.

I see. Probably we’ll have to stick with Chromecast.

[quote="||—PEGO—||":ggykjmyy]we need to copy past and save those in case that link dies.[/quote:ggykjmyy]

Yeah I highly reccomend that. There used to two parts of the site posting transcripts, but they stopped updating in January:

http://o.x0.com/f/

The other part of the site also stopped updating (right when there was something I really needed a transcript of too :( ), but awhile back it started updating again and started adding the Gaki series. :o

http://o.x0.com/m/

So yeah best to copy-paste everything to plain text files ‘just incase’. I’ve also wondered if there are more sites like this hiding out there. I just came upon it randomnly when Googling the Japanese title/date of a show.